You know your community’s challenges better than anyone else.
The free Parent Leadership Training Institute gives you the skills you need to successfully create change.
The Parent Leadership Training Insitute (PLTI) includes 20 weekly sessions, an all-day retreat, meals, and childcare — all free.
PLTI is open to parents, caregivers, and anyone who cares about the well-being of children. You’ll learn to be an effective advocate for children and a change agent for your community. PLTI teaches you how to identify problems affecting children and work toward solutions in schools, communities, and local and state government. PLTI’s 3 cohorts since 2015 have trained over 40 alumni in Hawaiʻi.
Oʻahu: Apply by Sept. 25, 2019 • Program starts Sept. 28, 2019
Maui: Apply by Sept. 30, 2019 • Program starts Oct. 16, 2019
By exploring your own passions, strengths, and ideas, you’ll develop leadership, interpersonal, and communication skills.
By learning about government and the media, you’ll understand how to engage with the political system to get your voice heard.
During PLTI, you’ll design and complete a community project related to something you’re passionate about. Previous projects include:
- “Inspiring Voter Turnout in 96744, Our Kāneʻohe”: Increasing voter engagement through voter registration drives, absentee ballot registration, and candidate forums.
- “How to be Safe on Social Media”: Developing a tool to help parents communicate with their children about social media and safety on the internet.
- “The Gomes Mini Park Revitalization & Clean-Up”: Revitalizing a playground that was neglected and unsafe to create a better sense of ownership among the community.
Hear from Lisamarie, a recent graduate, on how PLTI helped transform her family:
What You'll Gain
- A better understanding of your personal history and its impact on leadership
- Become more comfortable with diversity across people and opinions
- Practice communication, public speaking, and media advocacy skills
- Learn research, needs assessment, problem-solving and planning techniques
- Learn how to work in the political system to get your voice heard
- Complete a community project related to something you’re passionate about
Download a flyer for more information.
The curriculum runs for 20 weeks total — 4 hours each night (including family dinner time).
Participants who submit an application will be contacted for an interview. Participants are selected from a diverse group of individuals, who are passionate about children‘s issues and policies, and also have an interest in developing their individual leadership skills.
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com
PLTI Hawaiʻi is a chapter of the National Parent Leadership Institute, which provides the evidence-based curriculum. PLTI Hawaiʻi is made possible by supporters including the Hawaiʻi Department of Health (Family Health Services Division, Maternal & Child Health Branch, Community Based Child Abuse Prevention, Children with Special Health Needs Branch, Early Childhood Comprehensive Systems, Office of Primary Care & Rural Health, and Preventive Health and Health Services Block Grant), Atherton Family Foundation, McInerny Foundation, Samuel N. & Mary Castle Foundation, and the City and County of Honolulu. Mahalo!