Are you passionate about using graphic design and storytelling for social change? HCAN is looking for an undergraduate or graduate level Creative Design & Communications Intern for the 2023-2024 academic year to help tell our organization’s story, enhance our advocacy efforts, and inform the public about programs, services, and resources.
The Creative Design & Communications Intern will help design engaging digital and print materials (including social media graphics, flyers, brochures, and more), take photos, and may help record and edit videos. Working collaboratively with the HCAN team, the intern will play a key role in educating the public and inspiring action.
- Assist with designing materials for digital and print outputs, including graphics, print flyers, brochures, reports, and other creative content. These will be used for HCAN’s websites, email newsletters, social media, events, and other initiatives.
- Assist with taking photos and videos at HCAN’s events.
- Assist with compiling, writing, and publishing content for HCAN’s social media profiles, email newsletters, website, and other platforms.
- Assist in engaging with supporters and partner organizations on social media.
- Assist with envisioning and executing creative ways to get the public excited about advocacy opportunities and broaden public awareness of HCAN’s mission, while maintaining high brand standards.
- Experience in graphic design, photography, and/or video production/editing.
- Proficiency in Adobe Creative Cloud applications (Photoshop, InDesign, Illustrator, Premiere), Canva, or equivalent creative production tools.
- Attuned to audience, accuracy, messaging, and tone. Open to constructive feedback and able to quickly incorporate guidance.
- Ability to work collaboratively to develop visual concepts, and work independently to create high-quality results.
- Well-organized and able to manage multiple tasks and projects at the same time.
- Passion for the mission, vision, and values of Hawaiʻi Children’s Action Network, along with a strong commitment to equity and social justice.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and/or Google Suite applications.
NICE TO HAVE, BUT NOT REQUIRED:
- Experience working with policy- or advocacy-focused organizations.
- Education in visual arts, communications, or related fields.
- Knowledgeable and enthusiastic about current events, socio-political trends, and local visual/creative styles.
- Experience with illustration, data visualization, motion graphics, and/or web design/development.
Hawai‘i Children’s Action Network (HCAN) is an independent, nonpartisan children’s policy and advocacy non-profit organization. Our mission is to build a unified voice educating and advocating for Hawai‘i’s children. HCAN engages, educates, empowers and mobilizes families, community leaders, and policy makers to improve the health, education, safety, economic security and development of Hawaii’s children. We provide information on child well-being, stimulate dialogue on children's issues, and promote accountability and action.
Our commitment to equity
HCAN is committed to building a team that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. We strive to create an inclusive, supportive work environment that values each employee’s unique skills and perspectives. Meet our current board and staff here.
One of HCAN’s organizational goals is to build the capacity of excluded and unheard communities to shift and change systems of power and oppression, and this begins with our own staff. We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply, particularly those who are traditionally underrepresented in the policy and advocacy space, even if you’ve had a less traditional path or don’t feel like you check every box.
Submit your resume and cover letter below. We will review applications on a rolling basis.
Compensation and benefits
Stipend of $1,000 upon completion of internship.