Update, August 18, 2022: Hiring for this position has been paused. Please sign up for our email newsletter to learn about future opportunities at HCAN.
HCAN is hiring a full-time Communications & Development Coordinator, who will play a key role in HCAN’s community outreach, supporter engagement, and fundraising strategies.
This fast-paced, dynamic role will inform the public, advance organizational priorities, and inspire action through a combination of daily updates and collaborative, long-term projects and campaigns.
The Coordinator will maintain the HCAN’s communications platforms, plan events, and support the organization’s fundraising goals. Key responsibilities include:
- Communications (40%)
- Compile, write, and publish content for HCAN’s social media profiles, email newsletters, website, blog, and other platforms.
- Engage with supporters and partner organizations on social media.
- Event planning and coordination (25%)
- Research and coordinate with venues, speakers, sponsors, donors, vendors, and other key stakeholders.
- Assist with event logistics, set-up/tear-down, and on-site coordination.
- Recruit, train, and manage event volunteers as needed.
- Fundraising (20%)
- Process donations, acknowledgments, and other donor cultivation activities.
- Research prospective donors, sponsors, and funders.
- Assist with writing and reporting on grants as needed.
- Strategy and operations (15%)
- Collaborate with the Director of Advancement on developing creative, effective communications and fundraising strategies, and track progress toward strategic goals.
- Research and coordinate with vendors.
- Enter data into, update, and generate reports from HCAN’s databases.
- Compile data from surveys and focus groups, distribute incentives to respondents, and write internal reports.
- Attend and take minutes at board meetings.
The ideal candidate is:
- A strong communicator, attuned to audience, accuracy, messaging, and tone. Open to constructive feedback and able to quickly incorporate guidance.
- Well-organized, judicious, attentive to detail, and able to manage multiple tasks and projects at the same time.
- Familiar with the communications and fundraising technology that HCAN uses (including NationBuilder, Hootsuite, Asana, Slack, and the major social media platforms), or willing to learn.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office and/or Google Suite applications.
- Passionate about the mission, vision, and values of Hawaiʻi Children’s Action Network, and has a strong commitment to antiracism, equity, and social justice.
Preferred qualifications include:
- Experience with fundraising and event planning.
- Experience working with policy- or advocacy-focused organizations.
- Knowledgeable and enthusiastic about communications trends, fundraising best practices, and current events.
- Familiarity with basic web design/development (HTML and CSS).
Hawaiʻi Children’s Action Network (HCAN) is an independent, nonpartisan children’s policy and advocacy 501(c)3 nonprofit organization. Our mission is to build a unified voice educating and advocating for Hawaiʻi’s children. Our partner organization, HCAN Speaks!, is a 501(c)4 nonprofit whose mission is to ensure Hawaiʻi’s keiki have a bright future by building a powerful movement of families.
Together, our vision is to have well-funded, family-focused public policies and programs that prioritize keiki and give them the resources to learn, grow, and thrive in Hawai’i. We engage, educate, empower, and mobilize families, community leaders, and policymakers. We provide information on child well-being, stimulate dialogue on children's issues, and promote accountability and action.
Our commitment to equity
HCAN is committed to building a team that reflects the diversity of the communities we serve. We strive to create an inclusive, supportive work environment that values each employee’s unique skills and perspectives. Meet our current board and staff here.
One of HCAN’s organizational goals is to build the capacity of excluded and unheard communities to shift and change systems of power and oppression, and this begins with our own staff. We encourage people of all backgrounds to apply, particularly those who are traditionally underrepresented in the policy and advocacy space, even if you’ve had a less traditional path or don’t feel like you check every box.
Submit your resume and cover letter below. We will begin reviewing applications on a rolling basis, with priority review given to applications submitted by August 31, 2022. The hiring process will include two rounds of interviews, a short writing exercise/work sample, and reference checks. We would like to have the selected candidate begin in September or October 2022.
In accordance with HCAN’s duty to provide and maintain a workplace that is free of known hazards, and to safeguard the health of employees, partners, and the greater community, all HCAN employees are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19, unless a reasonable accommodation is approved.
Compensation and benefits
The salary for this full-time position is $40,000 – $45,000.
Benefits at HCAN include:
- A primarily remote working environment
- A family-friendly work culture with opportunities for flexible scheduling
- Laptop, virtual phone line, and other work-from-home supplies
- 20 days of paid time off and 15 holidays
- 20 days of paid family and medical leave
- Medical and dental insurance (100% of premium covered for employee)
- Flexible spending account for medical and dependent care expenses
- Cell phone and internet stipend
- Opportunities to attend conferences and other professional development
- 403(b) retirement plan with an employer contribution (contribution starting later in 2022)