Board members wanted!
We are looking for new board members who are passionate about children's issues and want to join our volunteer board of directors. People living on islands other than Oahu and those with a background in finance or marketing are highly encouraged to apply.
ROLE AND RESPONSIBILITIES OF HCAN BOARD MEMBERS: The Board of Directors is accountable to the community to assure that HCAN fulfills its mission and does so following sound legal and financial practices. With your service, you will join a long, illustrious line of community leaders helping to guide the organization to significant achievements in pursuit of our mission: To build a unified voice educating and advocating for Hawaii’s children, and our vision: All children in Hawaii are safe, healthy and ready to learn.
The Board is responsible for developing the organization’s vision, establishing policies, obtaining the financial resources needed to support the mission of HCAN, maintaining accountability, and selecting and evaluating the performance of the chief executive officer.
What the Organization Expects From You
1. Attendance: minimally at 75% of Board meetings during your term (currently 6 business meetings per year, plus an annual retreat). Notify the HCAN office if unable to attend a meeting.
2. Staying informed: coming prepared to meetings having read materials ahead of time, keeping knowledgeable with current information on the strategic plan, organizational activities, Board meeting minutes, programs, finances, reports, etc.
3. Participation: in at least one committee or task force, and as many Board discussions, organizational events, and meetings as your schedule allows.
4. Promotion: of HCAN and the importance of our work within your professional, organizational and personal relationships.
5. Advocacy: based on your ability and relationships, for the policy, funding and collaboration decisions HCAN is working to achieve.
6. Giving: a personal, annual monetary donation that is meaningful to you according to your own ability and circumstances, while serving on the Board. We require 100% giving on our Board.
7. Fundraising: actively participate in fundraising efforts of the organization. Provide support for events, philanthropic grants and donor stewardship.
If interested and want more information, please contact [email protected] Mahalo!