Parent Leadership Training Institute Hawaii
The Parent Leadership Training Institute (PLTI) Hawaii is a free leadership and democracy training course for up to 25 parents and family members on Oahu.
PLTI offers a stimulating curriculum that will boost leadership skills to address areas of concern such as, accessible child health, the achievement gap, neighborhood safety, and the significance of parental involvement that culminates in an individual project. Participants will emerge as strong leaders and advocates for all children and their communities.
Candidates apply online, then are invited for an interview. Participants are selected from a diverse group of individuals, who are passionate about children‘s issues and policies, and also have an interest in developing their individual leadership skills.
This program is free of charge. Meals, parking, and childcare are provided at no cost to you.
What You'll Gain:
- A better understanding of your personal history and its impact on leadership
- Become more comfortable with diversity across people and opinions
- Practice communication, public speaking, and media advocacy skills
- Learn research, needs assessment, problem-solving and planning techniques
- Understand program budgets, policy, and laws that affect children
- Learn how to work in the political system to get your voice heard
- Complete a community project related to something you’re passionate about and
- Participate in a graduation celebration with family and friends
The curriculum runs for 20 weeks total -- 4 hours each night (includes family dinner time).
- Retreat: Creating a Caring Community for Children
- Class 1: Thriving with Diversity in the Group Process
- Class 2: The Change Process
- Class 3: Parents as Change Agents:
- Class 4: How to Define a Problem and Work Toward a Solution
- Class 5: The Intentional Use of Language
- Class 6: Learning How a Community Works
- Class 7: How Local Systems Work and How to Interact With Them
- Class 8: Networks
- Class 9: The Power of the Media and How to Use it
- Class 10: Using Your Voice
- Class 11: The Life Cycle of the Child and the Functions of the Family
- Class 12: Social and Economic Trends Affecting Children and Families
- Class 13: What is Public Policy?
- Class 14: How the State Works
- Class 15: How a City Works
- Class 16: How Do We Understand the Law
- Class 17: Budgets – From Wallets to State – It’s all Money and Priorities
- Class 18: Evaluation, Outcomes, and Accountability
- Class 19: The Magic of the Unexpected: Forming New Alliances
- Class 20: Language: Packaging and Moving Agendas, Graduation
Please consider whether PLTI is the right course for you at this time.
Our next cohort will begin with a retreat on October 14, 2017 and Class 1 on October 16, 2017 in Honolulu, Oahu. Expansion to neighbor islands is currently under consideration and contingent on interest and funding.
"It's possible to change laws, it's possible to change who is in office, it's possible to change statutes...it's all possible!...because everything comes down to the children in the end. It's your opportunity to make a better world for our kids." -Jamie, Parent Leader, PLTI Graduate