As a parent, you know the challenges your community is facing better than anyone else, but you may think "I'm just a parent, what can I do?".
The Parent Leadership Training Institute (PLTI) Hawaii is a FREE training program that gives you the tools and training you need to use your voice to effect change in your community.
At the end of 20 weeks, 25 parents and family members on Oahu who wish to improve the lives of children, families, and communities will emerge as strong leaders and advocates. This program is free of charge. Meals, parking, and childcare are provided at no cost to you.
The 3 phases of training:
- A welcoming retreat to develop group cohesion and define the mission.
- A 10-week course on parent leadership, understanding personal history and its impact on perception.
- A 10-week study of politics, policy, and media with a Community Project to practice your new skills within a supportive community framework.
Hear from Lisamarie, a recent graduate, on how PLTI helped transform her family.
What You'll Gain
- A better understanding of your personal history and its impact on leadership
- Become more comfortable with diversity across people and opinions
- Practice communication, public speaking, and media advocacy skills
- Learn research, needs assessment, problem-solving and planning techniques
- Learn how to work in the political system to get your voice heard
- Complete a community project related to something you’re passionate about
Download a brochure for more information.
The curriculum runs for 20 weeks total -- 4 hours each night (including family dinner time). The next cohort in Oahu will begin with a retreat on Saturday, January 26, 2019*.
Download a course schedule.
Participants who submit an application will be contacted for an interview. Participants are selected from a diverse group of individuals, who are passionate about children‘s issues and policies, and also have an interest in developing their individual leadership skills.
Questions? Contact us at email@example.com
*Expansion to neighbor islands is currently under consideration and contingent on interest and funding.