WHO WE ARE
Hawaii Children’s Action Network (HCAN) is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit and the only one in the state of Hawaii solely committed to advocating for children. We believe every child deserves a fighting chance to realize their full potential and focus our work on advancing public policy that impacts the systems that serve children. See an example of our work here.
WHY WE EXIST
We're a movement of people who share one goal: to make Hawaii a great place to be a kid. Our network consists of families, "superhero" citizens, policy makers, business leaders, schools, and nonprofit organizations to ensure Hawaii's children are healthy, safe, and ready to learn; and we have work to do:
- 49% of young children NOT in school
- 71% of 4th graders NOT proficient in reading
- 70% of 8th graders NOT proficient in math
- 15% live in poverty
- 41% of children living in households with a high housing cost burden
- 32% live in single-parent households
We work to address the root causes of poverty and inequity. Our current priorities are:
- access to quality, affordable childcare and preschool for all children;
- paid family leave;
- comprehensive developmental screenings for all children; and
- quality early intervention services.