You know your community’s challenges better than anyone else.
The free Parent Leadership Training Institute gives you the skills you need to successfully create change.
The Hawaiʻi Parent Leadership Training Institute (PLTI) is open to anyone who cares about the well-being of children. Over the course of 20 free weekly sessions, you’ll learn to be an effective advocate for children and a change agent for your community. You will also complete a community project that puts into practice what you are learning.
PLTI teaches you how to identify problems affecting children — in schools, communities, and local and state government — and work toward solutions. PLTI’s 7 cohorts since 2015 have trained over 100 alumni in Hawaiʻi.
Applications for this year (2023-2024) are open now. Apply here!
Statewide Virtual: 2023-2024 Flyer & Schedule
Oʻahu In Person: 2023-2024 Flyer & Schedule
Maui Hybrid: 2023-2024 Flyer & Schedule
Applications are now being accepted for the 2023-2024 cohorts!
- Oahu In-person, Maui Hybrid-a mix of in-person and virtual meetings, and Virtual cohort
Email us at [email protected]
Follow PLTI on Facebook and Instagram. If you're a PLTI alum, join our Facebook group!
Click here to invest in future community leaders by becoming a PLTI sponsor.
By exploring your own passions, strengths, and ideas, you’ll develop leadership, interpersonal, and communication skills.
By learning about government and the media, you’ll understand how to engage with the political system to get your voice heard.
During PLTI, you’ll design and complete a community project related to something you’re passionate about. Previous projects include:
- "Graceful Puʻuwai": Developing a support group for pregnant women who were abused as children.
- “A Sustainable Maʻi”: A project addressing period poverty. A school program to educate and provide youth with sustainable products to manage their period in a financially, environmentally and healthy way.
- “Adaptive Water Sports 101”: A website to train on adaptive surfing, adaptive kayaking and adaptive swimming, and how to support those with disabilities to have access to the ocean.
Hear from PLTI graduate Lisamarie on how PLTI helped transform her family:
What You’ll Gain
- A better understanding of your personal history and its impact on leadership
- Become more comfortable with diversity across people and opinions
- Practice communication, public speaking, and media advocacy skills
- Learn research, needs assessment, problem-solving and planning techniques
- Learn how to work in the political system to get your voice heard
- Complete a community project related to something you’re passionate about
This year's cohorts will begin in September 2023 and end in March 2024. The curriculum runs for 20 weeks total.
Participants who submit an application will be contacted for an interview. Participants are selected from a diverse group of individuals, who are passionate about children's issues and policies, and also have an interest in developing their individual leadership skills.
Mahalo to our sponsors
PLTI Hawaiʻi is a chapter of the National Parent Leadership Institute, which provides evidence-based curriculum. PLTI Hawaiʻi is made possible by supporters including the Hawaiʻi Department of Health (Family Health Services Division, Maternal & Child Health Branch, Community Based Child Abuse Prevention, Children with Special Health Needs Branch, Early Childhood Comprehensive Systems, Office of Primary Care & Rural Health, and Preventive Health and Health Services Block Grant), Kamehameha Schools, Atherton Family Foundation, McInerny Foundation, Samuel N. & Mary Castle Foundation, and the City and County of Honolulu. Mahalo!