Our team at HCAN is made up of professionals in the field of education, public health, advocacy, politics, communications, marketing, and finance who are passionate about social justice and equity issues. We are currently seeking a Director of Advancement.
The Director of Advancement (Director) is responsible for the planning and implementation of a comprehensive fundraising and donor engagement program and oversees all communications for Hawaii Children’s Action Network (HCAN). The Director works to incorporate a variety of development, public relations, communications, and marketing strategies to increase funding for HCAN and develop a broader, positive awareness of the organization and its mission. This position is under the direct supervision of the Executive Director.
HCAN is an independent, nonpartisan children’s policy and advocacy non-profit organization. Our mission is to build a united voice educating and advocating for Hawaii’s children. HCAN engages, educates, empowers and mobilizes families, community leaders, and policymakers to improve the health, education, safety, economic security and development of Hawaii’s children. We provide information on child well-being, stimulate dialogue on children's issues, and promote accountability and action.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Work with the Executive Director to develop and execute the fundraising strategy and plan.
- Advise the HCAN Leadership Team and Board of Directors in the development of a fundraising plan including setting a goal, identifying funding sources, and identifying point people for each relationship.
- Manage and grow major donor portfolio and affinity groups.
- Develop and execute a corporate donor campaign.
- Coordinate, plan and implement any fundraising events/activities with support from HCAN staff and Board of Directors.
- Oversee the organization’s donor database for tracking individual and institutional supporters.
- Coordinate all donor relations including solicitations and acknowledgment.
- Work with the Executive Director and other staff on grant proposals and reports.
Marketing and Communications
- Develop and implement marketing strategies to engage existing donors and garner new donors in supporting children’s issues.
- Coordinates all external communications and public relations.
- Coordinate the development of HCAN marketing materials (brochures, newsletters, annual reports etc.)
- Acts as a resource to the Board of Directors, staff and appropriate Board committees.
- Supervises volunteers, interns and staff working on fundraising and communications projects.
- Participates in staff meetings, conferences, workshops, and training sessions to remain current on the best practices in the field.
This ideal candidate is passionate about children’s issues, highly motivated, and collaborative. They work effectively with the HCAN Leadership Team, Board of Directors, staff and community partners, while also able to work independently. This person is resourceful and can meet and anticipate deadlines and work well in an environment with frequent interruptions and change in pace requiring flexibility in attitude towards work and prioritizing of tasks, multiple task management and sound judgment in decision-making. Effective verbal and written communication is a must.
Education / Training:
Bachelor’s Degree required. Previous experience in nonprofit organizations preferred.
Three (3) years’ experience in fundraising /marketing with a proven track record of growing a donor base.
Working knowledge of communications strategies, social media and website usage.
Advanced computer skills with Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint, and social media tools. Working knowledge of Abode Creative Cloud products and other graphic design tools preferred.
To apply please submit a resume and cover letter to email@example.com