Get extra cash to care for your family in 2023! Did you know that at tax time, you may be eligible for tax credits that can give you money back and boost your income? Don't miss out on the Child Tax Credit and Earned Income Tax Credit!
These tax credits are not a loan. File your federal taxes by April 18, and your Hawai‘i taxes by April 20, 2023, to receive this income boost!
About the Child Tax Credit
The Child Tax Credit (CTC) is available for families that worked in 2022:
- The CTC offers up to $2,000 per qualified child
- Children must be 16 years old or younger.
- Children must have a Social Security Number (SSN) to be claimed for the CTC.
- You and your spouse must have a SSN or Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). Click here to learn how to apply for an ITIN.
- Even if you don't owe income tax, up to $1,500 of the Child Tax Credit is available as a refund to families earning more than $2,500.
About the Earned Income Tax Credit:
The Earned Income Tax Credit (EITC) is available for working families with children.
- You could get as much as $6,935 from the IRS and $1,387 from the state of Hawaiʻi.
- In 2022, parents could earn up to $59,187 and still qualify for this tax credit
- You, your spouse, and any child you claim must have a valid Social Security Number (SSM) to receive the EITC.
- You may be eligible for the EITC if you worked at any point during 2022, even if it was part-time, temporary, or gig work.
It's not too late to claim other credits and payments.
Because of the pandemic, the EITC and CTC were expanded and made available to more families. That expansion has ended, BUT here's the good news:
- If you were eligible for the 2021 expanded EITC, the 2021 expanded CTC, or any of the three rounds of stimulus checks and didn't claim them, it's not too late!
- You can file prior year taxes up to 3 years past the original due date - for the 2021, this would be April 18, 2025.
- Visit TaxOutreach.org/expanded to learn more.
- Visit GetYourRefund.org before April 18, or find a local Volunteer Income Tax Assistance (VITA) site for free tax help.
- The IRS will offer face-to-face help without an appointment at 300 Ala Moana Blvd. in Honolulu on Saturday, April 8, from 9 AM to 4 PM.
Click here for archived information about the CTC.